Current:Home > MyBenjamin Ashford|Mayor denies discussing absentee ballots with campaign volunteer at center of ballot stuffing claims -Capitatum
Benjamin Ashford|Mayor denies discussing absentee ballots with campaign volunteer at center of ballot stuffing claims
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 13:58:03
The Benjamin Ashfordmayor of Connecticut’s largest city denied under oath Tuesday ever discussing absentee ballots with a campaign volunteer who resembles a woman seen on surveillance video stuffing papers into a drop box multiple times ahead of the mayoral primary.
In a court hearing, Bridgeport Mayor Joe Ganim tried to distance himself from Wanda Geter-Pataky, a local Democratic official and supporter who has been accused by Ganim’s opponent of absentee ballot fraud in connection with Ganim’s narrow victory in September’s primary. Geter-Pataky last week refused to say whether she was the woman seen on surveillance footage making multiple trips to an election drop box and stuffing papers inside that looked like ballots.
Ganim also testified he did not talk to Geter-Pataky about handling absentee ballots differently after state elections officials investigating allegations of absentee ballot fraud in Ganim’s 2019 primary referred her and two others with ties to his campaign to state prosecutors.
“I had no discussions with her,” said Ganim, a Democrat. He also testified he did not ask his paid campaign staff to instruct Geter-Pataky, the vice chair of the Bridgeport Democratic Town Committee, to do anything differently.
Ganim won the Sept. 12 mayoral primary by 251 votes out of 8,173 cast, with absentee ballots giving him his margin of victory, as in 2019. The results are being challenged by his opponent John Gomes, who is seeking a new primary or to be declared the winner.
Ganim said in court that he was “shocked by what appeared in the videos” released by Gomes’ campaign shortly after the primary. However, he said he does not know if Geter-Patakay actually mishandled ballots. The State Elections Enforcement Commission is investigating this latest primary after receiving multiple complaints.
Ganim, who was convicted of corruption during a first stint as mayor but won his old job back in an election after his release from prison, has repeatedly denied any knowledge of wrongdoing related to ballots and has raised concerns about other videos which he says show Gomes’ campaign workers dropping in multiple pieces of paper resembling ballots.
Under Connecticut law, people using a collection box to vote by absentee ballot must drop off their completed ballots themselves, or designate certain family members, police, local election officials or a caregiver to do it for them.
Gomes, who has said his campaign workers followed state law, is asking a judge to order a new primary. He said multiple videos prove there was absentee ballot fraud during the Sept. 12 primary. No matter the judge’s ruling, Gomes will still appear on the November ballot as an independent candidate.
News of the Bridgeport videos has spread through right-wing social media platforms and on far-right media, connecting the controversy to the 2020 stolen election claims.
Last week, Geter-Patakay, who is currently suspended from her job as a greeter at the city hall annex, invoked her 5th Amendment right against self-incrimination multiple times rather than answer questions in court about allegations of illegal ballot box stuffing, including whether she was the woman seen on surveillance footage.
“She is invoking her Fifth Amendment privilege,” her lawyer, John Gulash, told the court.
City Council member and current candidate Eneida Martinez also declined last week to answer whether she appeared in an additional batch of videos Gomes’ lawyer William Bloss showed in court of a woman and other people depositing multiple pieces of paper that resemble absentee ballots into a drop box.
Bloss said there were 1,253 absentee ballots cast in the Sept. 12 primary but he and his staff identified 428 individuals “at most” who deposited ballots in the drop boxes after review hours of surveillance video. Some of the videos showed workers visiting the boxes to pick up ballots but found there were none.
Ganim noted it was his office that had worked to ensure the absentee ballot drop boxes — originally allowed during the COVID-19 pandemic — were located in view of city-owned surveillance cameras for security purposes. He told reporters outside the courthouse that he has since implemented more “stringent measures” on absentee ballot voting in light of the videos, but insisted absentee ballots are important in a city with a large elderly and disabled population.
“I want to ensure everyone has their vote and their vote counts,” he said.
veryGood! (9533)
Related
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Parents see more to be done after deadly Iowa school shooting
- Brazil’s Rio de Janeiro state confronts flood damage after heavy rain kills at least 12
- Kenya embarks on its biggest rhino relocation project. A previous attempt was a disaster
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Harry Styles Was Considered for This Role in Mean Girls
- Ayo Edebiri's Message to Her Younger Self Is Refreshingly Relatable
- As opioids devastate tribes in Washington state, tribal leaders push for added funding
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- Mother Nature proves no match for Bills fans attending Buffalo’s playoff game vs. Steelers
Ranking
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Iran strikes targets in northern Iraq and Syria as regional tensions escalate
- Miss America 2024 is active-duty Air Force officer, Harvard student: Meet Madison Marsh
- Jalen Rose, Chris Webber and the Fab Five reunite for Michigan-Ohio State basketball game
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Slovakia’s leader voices support for Hungary’s Orbán in EU negotiations on funding for Ukraine
- Switzerland hosts President Zelenskyy and offers to host a peace summit for Ukraine
- AP PHOTOS: Indian pilgrims throng Nepal’s most revered Hindu temple, Pashupatinath
Recommendation
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
Trump leads GOP rightward march and other takeaways from the Iowa caucuses
Tanzania says Kenyan authorities bow to pressure and will allow Air Tanzania cargo flights
Quinta Brunson Can't Hold Back the Tears Accepting Her 2023 Emmy Award
Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
A blast at a tire and explosives factory in Serbia kills 1 person and injures 4
Daniel Radcliffe Sparks Marriage Rumors With Erin Darke at 2023 Emmys
Iran says it has launched attacks on what it calls militant bases in Pakistan